This outfit belonged to the late fashion icon and magazine editor Isabella Blow, who committed suicide in 2007. Isabella was a huge influence on Gaga, and Gaga has been a major supporter of the Isabella Blow foundation, which provides funding both to arts scholarships and depression research. Isabella was a huge part of the British fashion scene, and Gaga considered wearing this to London Fashion Week a tribute to her memory. That doesn’t depoliticize it, of course, but is another layer of context for the intention behind the choice. And that you should probably all be getting somewhat less pissed at Gaga and more pissed at the British woman who discovered McQueen and poisoned herself after getting ovarian cancer. (Blow was also working on a book project about “beauty in the Arab world” not long before her death, although I don’t know what became of the project.)
Obviously I get why someone who has undergone persecution for wearing a burqa as a part of their religious practice could be offended, and I’m not attempting to delegitimize that. However, think of the thousands of bullshit Western teenagers who didn’t know what a burqa is earlier this year. Perhaps a few of them were curious, and did some googling. They now know slightly more than they did, and perhaps are slightly more tolerant. Yes, it’s tacky and ugly and insensitive, but I’ll take that over cultural isolationism and ignorant youth any day.
And of course, to reiterate what K said below, “people have no right to tell anyone what they can and can’t wear.”
Backstage at London Fashion Week.
i just searched the lady gaga tag to see if tumblr savior is working ,and then i see this . she angers me so much
seriously what the fuck are you doing
you get my gif too
if you can wear it, why can’t she?
Because she’s not Muslim, because she’s not from the middle east, because she can’t fucking wear shit that has religious and cultural significance for the name of fashion while my sisters, myself and milllions of other muslim women still get shitted on by western society and are called oppressed for just wearing a hijab, let alone a full veil and face covering while this woman can wear a cheap ugly tacky piece of shit and call it a burqa.
Ya made a wrong turn on this one, Gaga.
Where did she call it a burqa? Sure it looks like one, and that’s how women wear one (except the color… and translucent veil over the face), but if she called it one then that’s what matters. Gaga’s also worn meat and came to an award ceremony in a giant fucking egg. She does weird shit. Let it roll.
If you wanna play devil’s advocate you could try to say that her wearing it is showing how it can be used as a fashion statement, meaning that there’s nothing wrong with it, meaning that people should get used to the image of it and therefore stop shitting on the burqa and hijab when women wear it for religious purposes.
I wear scarves on my head but not in the same style as Muslim women. Think about the 50s style of women tying scarves around their head to keep hair back, or just to travel. I don’t do it for any other reason but I feel more comfortable doing so. I have crucifix designs on jewelry and, sometimes, on t-shirts. I’m not Christian and I don’t see anything wrong with it (unless the image is being used in an offensive way). I have images of the Buddha in my home, and while I’m no Buddhist I do tend to pray/make wishes towards said statue.
You can come after me all you want and spout out stuff like PRIVILEGE and IGNORANCE etc. etc. but you know what? I don’t care. I don’t. I think it’d be better to be more concerned about the people who treat these religious objects as something to be ashamed of instead of realizing that 1: they have a value that can’t be ignored and 2: people have no right to tell anyone what they can and can’t wear. This goes both ways. I think you would be better off going after the people who attack you for wearing something crucial to your religion and something you take great pride in. If you disagree, go right ahead and keep fighting that fight against… what, again?
For all we know, crazy lady’s doing this as a very poor attempt at solidarity. You can judge her for it but it’s important to think of the other side of this, however much you don’t like it.
I’m not a Gaga apologist, and while I’m a fan of hers I’m definitely not worshipping all the shit she does, but she’s got her heart in the right place. That doesn’t excuse when she steps over the line, though I think that’s just as important as the times she falls short of the mark and ruffles some jimmies, like in this case.
I’d also just like to add that this is LADY FUCKING GAGA. Everything she does is to keep your eye on her so congratulations, you just did exactly what she wanted you to do.
- floralxflesh likes this
- biforgaga reblogged this from arrtpop
- laurelanced likes this
- tout--ou--rien likes this
- miesviha likes this
- picorivillage likes this
- dela-rosa likes this
- highwaytogaga reblogged this from hooker-gaga
- carolinatami04 reblogged this from chrislopez04
- alf-eet-a-zen reblogged this from peti-t
- m0kay reblogged this from tealwig
- yannidepp reblogged this from faux--diamond
- faux--diamond reblogged this from pawsup13
- pawsup13 reblogged this from hooker-gaga
- pawsup13 likes this
- niallsus-horist reblogged this from stupidpopstarrules
- niallsus-horist likes this
- w-i-s-h-g-a-g-a reblogged this from gurl-gone-wild
- aphroditeladyseashell reblogged this from hooker-gaga
- nastygermanotta reblogged this from hooker-gaga
- hooker-gaga reblogged this from gagahot
- imjuliocarrillo likes this
- sharkinthewatah reblogged this from peti-t
- yuyistreasurechest reblogged this from thepower-of-resurgence
- itssogaga reblogged this from thepower-of-resurgence
- itssogaga likes this
- alex-burns reblogged this from littlemonsterhelp
- alex-burns likes this
- thalesgermanotta reblogged this from gagahot
- gagahot reblogged this from belong-to-artpop
- belong-to-artpop reblogged this from gurl-gone-wild
- sexdre4ms likes this
- fuckmecalderone reblogged this from tealwig
- highdie reblogged this from peti-t
- highdie likes this
- peti-t reblogged this from iheartartpop
- i-wanna-sit-on-your-face reblogged this from nienzedd
- intentionx reblogged this from tealwig
- nienzedd reblogged this from tealwig
- lickmynick likes this
- idkwhymonster reblogged this from gagachrist
- chocolatefundido reblogged this from gurl-gone-wild
- chrislopez04 reblogged this from gagachrist
- frisco1414 reblogged this from littlemonsterhelp
- marinaruizs reblogged this from gagachrist
- joselitorivas likes this
- ontheedgetothedarkside likes this
- marinaruizs likes this
- gagachrist reblogged this from gurl-gone-wild